Shenzhen Design Award for Young Talents 2017 – Open Call
Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Office and Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association (SDPA) have opened a call for designers to participate in the SDAY award which recognizes successful young designers from UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
The purpose of the award is to reward the efforts of young designers, who, through their creativity, have contributed to the enhancement of environmental sustainability, social and economic development and, above all, quality of lives in cities. The award aims to encourage exchange between young talents from different countries, cooperation between creative cities, and the sharing of experiences and ideas for developing creative and cultural industries. The award also aims to promote the value of design thinking, concepts and products as contributors to the transformation of economies and society.
Theme for 2017:
CRAFTSMANSHIP：THE SPIRIT OF DESIGN
Entries from all fields of design which contribute to the sustainable growth of cities are welcome to participate, including but not limited to:
– Visual communication: Brand & identity, packaging design, publications, graphic design, posters, illustrations, information visualization
– Interactive media: Interactive design, UI design, UX design, Animation, Game & Software design, Motion pictures design
– Product and industrial design: automobile, furniture, product design
– Spatial design: Architectural design, landscape design, interior design, urban and public guiding system design
– Fashion design: apparel, accessories, texture design, dyeing & knitting
– Public service design and design thinking in public policy
Entries are welcome from individuals and teams. For an individual, their age should be under 35 by 31 December 2017. For teams, all members should be under 35 by 31 December 2017. For architects, the age limit is under 40 by 31 December 2017. For the student session, entrants should remain registered students in colleges or other educational institutions until 1 January 2017.
The entries must have been completed or produced and, in the case of commercial products, have become available in markets between 1 January 2015 and 31 October 2017. Entries that have previously been submitted for SDAY 2013 or 2015 are NOT accepted in the 2017 award.
Conceptual designs or designs that are still under development and/or have not yet been commercially launched, as well as prototypes, renderings and artists’ impressions of designs are only eligible as entries for the student session.
All entrants must be natives of or have been living for at least 2 years in one of the UNESCO Creative Cities or Hong Kong.
The entries can only be submitted by the author or the nominator. Each entrant can submit no more than 10 pieces of work. For series, there should be no more than 5 pieces for each serial.
Grand Award (maximum 1 winner) 20,000 USD per winner
Merit Award (maximum 10 winners) 5000 USD per winner
New Star Award (maximum 10 winners) 3000 USD per winner
Best nominator (maximum 3 winners) Honorary Prize
Awarding ceremony is scheduled to take place in Shenzhen in February 2018. All winners including the best nominator prize winner (one representative per nominator) will be invited to the award ceremony.
1 July – 20 November 2017 Call for entries and first screening by nominators
20 November 2017 Deadline for Online Registrations
30 November 2017 Deadline for arrival of entries at Secretariat
Early December 2017 Final Judging
February 2018 Awarding Ceremony and Exhibition
All nominees must register online at www.szday.org before 10:00 AM (GMT), 20 November 2017 and complete the following steps (all materials must be in English):
– Read and Agree to the Terms and Conditions
– Log in using User Name and Password provided by the nominator (ONE User Name and ONE password for ONE entrant ONLY)
– Fill out the registration form
– Fill out the description form one by one for all entries
– Upload a photo of the nominee
– Upload a recommendation letter (PDF or JPG) signed by the nominator
– Send the Actual Works to the Secretariat and ensure they arrive before 30 November 2017.
Fees – Registration, nominations and entries submissions are free. However, entrants are responsible for all logistic and insurance costs.