Filmmaker’s Brief & Open Call – UNESCO City of Design Dundee
Film brief: UNESCO City of Design, Dundee
Dundee is the first designated UNESCO City of Design in the UK, joining a prestigious worldwide network that includes Beijing, Berlin, Helsinki and 18 others. Dundee was awarded the designation because of its outstanding design heritage – jute, comics and digital, among others – but primarily because it has embedded design at the heart of its present and future ambitions. We have an exceptional design community with a strong shared vision, two world class Universities both with design at their core, and the new V&A Museum of Design Dundee, due to open in 2018.
We are looking for a film that can be used as a calling card, wherever we travel in the world, to show why Dundee has earned the prestigious international designation of UNESCO City of Design. This is an incredibly exciting time to be here in Dundee and we are looking for a creative team that can help convey this moment in time – the design-led people, passion and momentum that are carrying forward – as GQ recently christened us – ‘the coolest little city in Britain’.
The video will be used on a breadth of websites and social media channels, as well as for presentations both in the city and around the world.
We will use it as a visual description of Dundee as a City of Design – it should leave audiences with a strong desire to visit the city to experience it for themselves.
It will also be used as a recruitment tool for students, staff and for businesses where appropriate.
This is a partnership commission and the partners will therefore have input into all key stages, including storyboarding and final approval.
- The film should have a strong narrative and, in essence, should describe why Dundee is a City of Design.
- With a focus on the people and the organisations that help design flourish in the city, we would expect the film to feature selected designers from the main design institutions in the city, large and small, alongside their work. Access to these designers/organisations will be provided.
- Locations throughout Dundee would be featured, and the UNESCO team can assist with arranging locations.
- Dundee is the UK’s first and only UNESCO City of Design.
- Dundee does design differently. The scale of our city allows collaboration and co-design to flourish.
- Designed locally, impacts globally
- Good design improves lives.
- Dundee is rapidly reinventing itself through a pervasive combination of culture and creativity, with design at the heart of this renaissance,
- Dundee is an amazing, world-class place to live, visit and study.
- Design is everything and everything connects.
- “Dundee is fast becoming the coolest little city in Britain.”
Look and feel
- The film should evoke a feeling of excitement and dynamism, reflecting the confidence and ambition of the city today.
- A mood of fast-paced optimism, but one that reflects the talent, determination and hard work that underpins our increasing visibility on the world stage.
- The film should leave audiences wanting more, wanting to explore the city, and the work of the featured designers/organisations.
- The film must reflect the shared values of the partners…
- Global creative industry professionals
- Global design savvy public audiences (adults)
- International (potential) HE students (particularly those interested in the creative industries/architecture/engineering/medical and life sciences)
- Potential international visitors from around the world including short breakers and staycationers who are likely to be interested in visiting Dundee in the future.
- UK and international media (specialist/consumer/news)
Accessibility is essential – jargon and technical language must be avoided.
Outputs / deliverables
- One core video, expected approx. 3 minute duration
- Selection of short form social media edits of individual speakers (30 seconds max)
- Subtitles in English – please bear in mind clear space at bottom of shot when filming.
- Partner branding, led by UNESCO City of Design (supplier to work with us to set standard title and end cards based on information provided).
- Opening will overlay text on film footage. Credits as static end card(s).
- Acknowledgment of partners and funders (provided).
- Subtitles in English
Approx. 3 mins
Video at 16:9 supplied as HD digital file. For use on monitors, projection, and online.
Yes, English. Copy space must be accounted for in each shot.
Suggestions on musicians/specific tracks welcome. Please note this cost must be covered as part of the response to this brief.
Around £5000 inc VAT
Filming – August 2016
Editing – early September 2016
Delivery of final version – w/c 26 September 2016
Successful company to confirm final schedule on appointment.
Final edit to be approved by partnership panel.
Please email a quote for this work plus links to relevant examples of your previous work and an outline written creative response of no more than 500 words to:
by noon on 9th August.
For further information or specific questions contact
UNESCO City of Design Team